Tuesday 10 June 2008

Discipline.

Last night i went out to the soup run, and it was a great night, there was a few people that i have gotten to know, who i was able to catch up with which was great. Towards the end of the soup run things started to get a little interesting. A lady there who was fully drunk, started to yell at the soup run volunteers, she was yelling abuse and fully going off about the church... i have met this lady before and have had good chats with her, and this was the first time that i have seen her like this. Any way, i was going around chatting with people while praying for peace for her, and that her tongue would be bound, as i felt that that there was a little more going on than just her being drunk.
On my way home i was reflecting on what had happened, and Jesus reminded me of the scripture, in Mark 9:28 -29 and matt 17:21, where Jesus had just come down the mountian to his disciples and there was a man there, who's son had a evil spirit and the disciples tried to cast the spirit out, and then Jesus done it.... the disciples then ask why couldn't they cast the spirit out, and Jesus' reply was that "this kind can only come out in prayer and fasting ".
This was such a reminder that our lives have to be grounded in Christ, and in prayer with Him... Discipline has a great part of this, we need to be disciplined to spend time with Christ, not that it is a chore, but the more time we spend with Him, the better our relationship with Him is and then we will want to spend more and more time with Him.
It also reminded me that there is a place for fasting in this world, for fasting is meant to bring a person's focus onto Christ, and me aware of Him and spend time with Christ throughout the day.
I know in my own life, there is a number of different areas in which i can be more disciplined, and i want to be... I want to live a fully sold out life for Christ, and in the process i need to be disciplined, so that my Spirit with Christ is in control of my life, not my "flesh". Fasting is one area where i would like to be come more disciplined in. So Lord help me in this please...

No comments: